Saturday, September 15
I exalt you, my God
Scripture: Ezekiel 38-39, Psalm 145, Revelation 20
Psalm 145:1-3 I exalt you, my God the King, and bless your name forever and ever. I will bless you every day; I will praise your name forever and ever. The Lord is great and is highly praised; his greatness is unsearchable.
This beautiful psalm is about the greatness of God and David starts listing ways the Lord is great.
- The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and great in faithful love.
- The Lord is good to everyone; his compassion rests on all he has made.
- The Lord is faithful in all his words and gracious in all his actions.
- The Lord helps all who fall; he raises up all who are oppressed.
- The Lord is righteous in all his ways and faithful in all his acts.
- The Lord is near to all who all out to him.
- The Lord guards all those who love him.
This is why the psalm starts with David saying that he will exalt, bless and praise the Lord every day and forever. God is worthy of our praise!
Contemplation of God’s greatness should lead to daily praise forever!
I often take God’s greatness for granted and live my day without praise. In fact, I can easily focus on my weakness (or others’ weakness), or on what displeases me, and end up grumbling. What a shame to grumble in the face of such goodness! Living with a focus on God’s goodness and with a heart full of thanksgiving and praise will change my attitude for the whole day! Want to be a positive person? Focus on God’s greatness!
This morning on my walk, my heart was full of gratitude and praise for God’s goodness to me. Perhaps that’s why this psalm struck a chord in me. God is great—and He is good to me, and deserves my unending worship and praise. He is good, gracious and compassionate, faithful and righteous, near to me, and He helps and guards me.
Today, I want to live all day with an awareness of God’s goodness to me, and give Him the praise He deserves!
Prayer: Lord, You are great! You are worthy of my unending praise. Thank You for being so good to me—for being near, for helping me today, for being gracious and compassionate, faithful and righteous!