Wednesday, August 26
Scripture: Jeremiah 52, Psalm 143-144, Revelation 1
Look how John describes Jesus in this beginning of his revelation. Jesus:
- Is the faithful witness.
- Is the first to rise from the dead.
- Is the ruler of all the kings of the world.
- Loves us.
- Freed us from our sins by shedding His blood for us.
- Made us a kingdom of priests for God.
- Is coming again and everyone will see Him.
- Is the First and the Last.
- Is the Living One.
- Died but is alive forever and ever.
- Holds the keys of death and the grave.
- (I’m not even including the vision in v. 13-16 that describe Jesus’ appearance in awe-inspiring glory—“His face was like the sun in all its brilliance” and so on.)
First, Jesus is awesome and deserves my worship, my service, my life! John’s vision of Jesus was very lofty. He had a high view of Jesus, so high that Jesus was the focus and passion of His life. We need this same view. Years ago, I read a book entitled, Your God is too Small. We are guilty of doing this to Jesus; we reduce Him to a comfortable size, a pocket Jesus, a genie who can help us when needed but be ignored most of the time. The Jesus that John describes is un-ignorable! See Jesus as He is and like John, you must fall at His feet in worship and surrender.
Second, since Jesus is the ruler of all the kings of the earth, I’m going to participate actively and wisely in our political process, but I’m not going to freak out like it’s the end of the world. Jesus is bigger than Trump or Biden, bigger than Dems or Reps, and bigger than the US—and He is the ruler of all rulers. I know how the story ends—Jesus wins and He is all in all.
Third, since we are a kingdom of priests, I want to do my best to help every believer understand and act like the priest that they are! Every Christian is a minister, a servant of God, a priest to help others come to God. Our lay/clergy split is wrong, and we need to help as many people as possible live into their God-given calling.
Prayer: Lord, let this overwhelming vision capture my heart like it did John’s and help me to serve you without reservation.