Friday, July 31
What is your response?
Scripture: Isaiah 65-66, Psalm 62, John 3
Isaiah 65:1–2 The Lord says, “I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am!’ to a nation that did not call on my name. 2 All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths
and their own crooked schemes.
Isaiah 65:12 …For when I called, you did not answer. When I spoke, you did not listen.
In this beautiful prophecy, God takes the initiative and moves toward His people. You can hear His heart breaking in these words as He appeals to us.
- I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help.
- I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me.
- I said, “Here I am, here I am!” to people that ignored me.
- I opened my arms to a rebellious people, but they walked the other way.
- I called, you didn’t answer.
- I spoke, you didn’t listen.
Repeatedly, consistently God moves toward them, only to be ignored, refused, rebuffed.
Compare this to John 3:16 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” God took the initiative to save us through Jesus. God is always moving toward us in love, giving Himself to reach us.
This is the good news of grace—that God is always moving toward us in love, always taking the initiative to reach us and help us.
The question is: What is our response? Are we responding to God’s initiative or ignoring Him?
- Are you asking for help, or trying to do it alone?
- Are you looking for God, or occupied elsewhere?
- Are you listening to God and answering His call, or ignoring Him?
- Are you believing and trusting the One who loves you?
God is ready! He is moving toward me! Am I looking for Him, listening and responding?
Prayer: Lord, I get so occupied with other things that I can grow inattentive toward You. Help me to be attentive to your initiative and respond to You.