What is Rooted?
Launch Night Schedule:
- 6:30: Meet in Auditorium with Mission Groups
- Rooted goes to Multipurpose Room
- Rooted Groups will attend a Launch Night message.
- After the message Rooted Groups will break up into small groups in separate rooms.
If anyone misses the Launch Night talk, Pastor Joe’s manuscript can be found below.
Additionally you can view this week’s agenda by clicking the button below.
It’s the first week of Rooted! 10 minutes before we start leaders will receive an email in your inbox to record group attendance. This is a helpful tool for you to manage your group and check in with members.
Who is God?
The focus of this week is on God, His creation and what happened to it, and His plan for redemption.
Day 1 – The Mysterious God
- What have been your false or incomplete images of God?
- What new thoughts do you have about God?
Day 2 – The World God Made
- What do you learn about God from the creation story?
- What questions does this account raise for you?
- How does creation declare the glory of God to you?
Day 3 – The Crown of God’s Work
- How do you see God’s love and care for you?
- How does it make you feel to know God has given us the job to care for the earth?
- How do you respond to the idea that God wants a relationship with you?
- How have you seen this played out?
Day 4 – What Went Wrong?
- Where do you see the consequences of human rebellion in our world? In your own life?
- What kind of death have you experienced because of your sin?
Day 5 – The Best News Ever
- Is the way of salvation, as is explained in this chapter, what you had previously though? (If not, how is it different?)
- Have you accepted Jesus as your Savior and Lord? (If yes, how has that changed you? If you haven’t, what is keeping you from doing it now?)
How does God Speak to Us?
How does God speak to Us?
The focus this week is that God speaks in many ways. We learn about the Holy Spirit, prayer, and listening to God.
Day 1 – The Sword of the Spirit
- How is the biggest challenge you have to reading or studying God’s Word?
- How about believing or following God’s Words?
Day 2 – God Speaks
- Does any of what you’ve read today surprise you? Why?
- Do you feel like God speaks to people as clearly today as he did in biblical times?
- How has God spoken to you?
- Do you really want to hear what God wants to say to you?
Day 3 – Our Divine Helper
- What was your understanding and your relationship with the Holy Spirit up to this point?
- What is it now?
- How can you keep in step with the Holy Spirit?
Day 4 – The Purpose of Prayer
- What new thoughts do you have about prayer?
- What is more challenging for you: to speak to God or to listen to God? Why?
Day 5 – Connecting with God in a Meaningful Way
- What excites you and what seems daunting as you think about establishing a regular time to read the Bible and pray?
- What book of the Bible do you want to read / study first?
Where is God in the Midst of Suffering?
The focus this week is surrendering to a good and gracious God, following Him, and holding on to faith during the bad times as well as the good.
Day 1 – The Reality of Hardship and Suffering
- All of us have gone through tough times of despair or feeling completely alone. In that time, what were your feelings about your situation and about God?
- What lessons learned from David’s life can help you through these challenging times?
Day 2- You Are Not Alone
- Describe a time when you have felt hopeless.
- Describe a time when you, despite your circumstances, you have had hope from the Lord.
- If you are in a hard time right now, do you feel as though you are in God’s hands? Why or why not?
Day 3 – Double – Fisted Faith
- Describe your feelings of “double-fisted faith”. IS this idea a struggle for your? Or do you embrace it?
- When have your had to clench your fists and cling tightly onto God’s promises. not knowing the outcome of the situation?
- Day 4 – Our Response: Surrender
- What would it take to completely surrender your life to God?
- What is a care in your life you need to give over to God right now?
Day 5 -Character Like Christ
- What challenges are you facing now that are helping transform your character to be more like Christ’s?
- Where do you see God’s hand working in your circumstances?
There is an Enemy
The focus this week is on the enemy and his influence on our loves, to recognize and break strongholds and experience freedom in our identity in Christ.
Day 1 – The Enemy is Real
- What new thoughts do you have about Satan and his kingdom of this world?
- What comforts do you find in knowing Jesus is victorious now and in the end?
Day 2 – The Spirit Realm
- Where do you recognize spiritual battles in your life?
- Where do you feel dressed in God’s armor to fight them? Where do you?
Day 3 – Tempting, isn’t it?
- Where is the love of the world creeping into your life?
- How does this open a door to Satan / evil?
Where is it creating weakness?
Day 4 – The Enemy Within
- Where in your life do you experience what Paul does in Romans 7 (being a slave to sin and a slave to God’s law)?
- What are examples of where “the flesh” is winning in your life?
- What are examples of where the Holy Spirit is winning?
Day 5 – Strongholds
- Look at the list of strongholds. Mark it up. Circle or list any areas where Satan has a foothold or you have developed habitual areas of sinning. Then, in the box provided, write what the Truth could look like in your life.
The Spiritual Gifts Test
The spiritual gifts test is simple and intuitive, and only takes about 10-12 minutes to complete. Just answer each question honestly and openly on a 1-5 scale from Very Inaccurate to Very Accurate. The progress bar lets you know how far along you are each step of the way.
How Can I Make the Most of My Life?
Day 1 – Call to Serve / Motive to Serve
- Where have you seen the redemption of Jesus in your life? Where has he made something new?
- Where do you feel God calling to you to do good things?
- Who are people you know who have hearts like Jesus? What attracts you to them?
- What does it look like to serve out of your purpose rather than agenda?
Day 2 – Breadth of Service
- What are ways you can become involved in the Great Commission?
- What are your thoughts about being “blessed to be a blessing” when it comes to sharing the Good News?
Day 3 – Wired to Serve
- What are some spiritual gifts you have been given? How will you use these gifts in your life?
- As you look at your life and the gifts God has given you, what sense do you have of the purpose He has for you and how He wants to use you?
- How do you see yourself contributing to the needs of six sectors of society through your gifts?
Day 4 – Hands-On-Love
- Where have you seen Jesus “disguised” as someone in need? What was your response?
- Were you ever on the receiving end of another person’s help? What did the person’s actions tell you about him or her?
- Where are you more comfortable serving, in the church or community? Why?
- Why did Jesus instruct us to do both?
Day 5 – A Lifestyle of Service
- What are obstacles to a lifestyle of service that you have experienced?
- What are things you can do this week in service to someone in your life?
- How can you serve people living in poverty?
- Have you ever served in your church? If so, what did you like about it? What did you like? If not, why not?
How Does God View Money?
While this week is labeled ‘Week 8’ in your book we will be covering this content on week 7. Part of the experience of discussing money in Rooted is Stewardship night.
Each group weekend groups and Tuesday Groups will all meet on Tuesday night 7 weeks into the session for a message on money.
After the talk each group will split up and discuss as small groups.
The focus of this week is gaining insight into God’s provision, managing His resources, and living a God-honoring lifestyle with our money.
Day 1 – It’s a Heart Issue
- In day 1, which of the bible verses did you circle that either challenge or encourage you. Why?
- How do these verses align with your current view of money?
Day 2 – Owner v. Manager
- In your mind, what is the difference between an owner and a manger?
- Where have you been acting like an owner?
- Wher have you been acting like a manager?
- What has been your experience with budgets?
Day 3 – Joining God in His Work
- What is your experience with giving?
- How are you “blessed to be a blessing”?
- What gets in the way of you being a regular, faithful giver?
Day 4 – Freedom from Debt
- What debt do you have? What is it doing to the condition of your heart?
- Why is it important to reduce / eliminate debt completely?
- What step are you going to take to begin getting out of debt?
Day 5 – In God We Trust
- When it Comes to providiong for your needs, where are all the places you trust God (job, health, bank accounts)?
- What are are the results?
- What would it look like for you to courageously trust Him with your finances.
Rooted Money Night Talk
Why and How Should I Tell Others?
The focus this week is on knowing the story of our relationship with Jesus and how to effectively tell other so that they may begin a relationship with Him.
Day 1 – Getting the Word Out
- What comes to your mind when you think of evangelism?
- What’s the biggest challenge you face in sharing your faith?
- Have you ever shared your faith with someone else?
- If you’ve done so, how did it go? If you haven’t why not?
- Who are three people in your life that don’t know God?
Day 2 – God’s Story
- What do you think of God’s story?
- Are there any parts you disagree with, or are there any parts that confuse you?
- Do you think you could write down from memory the major point of each of the four parts?
Day 3 & 4 – Your Story
- How do you feel about telling your story to others?
- How does this (telling your before-and-after story) affect how you think about evangelizing?
Day 5 – Time to Share
- Where are you meeting the needs of others? Have there been opportunities to share your faith in these situations?
- Remember the three people you have been praying for. Share your story of faith with them in a way that is relevant and succinct.
- Pray about whom you can invite to the next session of Rooted or event to church.
Why is the Church Important?
The focus this week is on solidifying the value of the Church — its functions and each person’s role within it — and continuing to grow and move into a lifestyle ignited in Rooted by establishing or joining a Mission Group.
Day 1 – All in the Family
- What makes you feel like an attendee at church?
- What makes you feel like someone who belongs to your church?
Day 2 – Responding to God
- Where in your life do you worship in spirit and truth?
- What sometimes keeps you from authentic worship?
Day 3 – Ceremonies
- What are your thoughts about the Lord’s Supper?
- If you have been baptized. describe your experience and the events leading up to it.
- If you haven’t been baptized, what are your thoughts about it?
Day 4 – Maturing in Christ
- Have you decided to continue with your Rooted group as a Mission Group? If not, where is your need for community being met?
- How can your Mission Group join in with God’s mission of restoration in your surrounding community and beyond?
- In what ways will your relationship with God be strengthened by committing to a Mission Group that cares for each other and the world around them?
Day 5 – Looking Back, Looking Ahead
- Think about your Rooted experience. What are some highlights? What are one or two truths you want to take away from this time?
- How have you heard God’s voice?
- What’s the next step you will take toward fulfilling the purpose God has planned for you?
Day 1 – The Father’s Heart and the Son’s Commission
- Spend a few minutes reflecting on Jesus’ love for you. What thoughts, images, or questions does it bring to mind?
- How does God’s love for you change the way you see others?
- Does The Great Commission excite you or overwhelm you?
Day 2 – Find, Tell, Bring
- Why is Find, Tell, Bring important?
- Spend a moment thinking about your friends and family. Who can you find who does not yet know Jesus?
- Have you ever told your story to a friend who doesn’t know Jesus? What was that like?
- What are some things you can do to make our weekend services more welcoming for people who are coming to church for the first time?
- What part of Find, Tell, Bring is most challenging for you?
Day 3 – Come with Me
- How would you define “disciple”?
- How do you feel about inviting someone to follow your example, as you follow the example of Christ, as Paul did in 1 Corinthians?
- Take a moment and think about the people in your life. Ask yourself, “Who could God transform through me?” Spend some time pondering this questions, and write down a few names.
Day 4 – Feed Yourself
Today your homework is to PBJ. There are many ways to do this, but today, give it a try by following the method outlined below. You will need your Bible, a journal, a pen and at least 15 minutes.
- Grab your Bible and turn to Mark 1
- Before you begin reading, take a moment to pray. Ask God to speak one thing you as you take this time to learn from him.
- Read all of Mark chapter one, observing anything that jumps out at you. This is how God can speak to you through the Bible, by drawing your attention to a specific verse or two.
- When you find a verse or two the you like, journal on it using the SOAP method.
Scripture: Write out the verse(s) that jumped out to you in your journal.
Observation: Write what you observe about the verse. What is the author saying?
Application: Write out some thoughts about how this applies to your life, or how it may affect your interactions with others around you today. What is Jesus telling you through this verse today?
Prayer: Write out a prayer related to the application you wrote above, giving thanks to God and asking him for wisdom, courage, strength, peace, etc.
You’ve made it! You’ve completed every week, memorized every verse, and done all of the homework. Now it’s time to celebrate!
HOW TO BE PREPARED
Everyone should be receiving an RSVP in their inbox. Please follow up with your group to see that they have received and responded to their RSVP. It is very important we get a headcount prior to the celebration. This helps us plan ahead for seating and food.
We will be offering the option to be baptized at the celebration. Follow up with your group about where they are in their walks with Jesus. See if anyone would like accept Him and / or be baptized. Sometimes it just takes you asking the question.
If anyone in your group would like to be baptized please email Corey Clarke.
Please email Angela Bailey any childcare needs for the celebration.